There are many homeowners that are reluctant to do this home maintenance task on their own. When doing roofing repair yourself it can be straightforward and economical. The first thing that you need to do to find out if you can do this repair yourself is to find the problem you need to repair. Often the cause is improper design or wind damage if your roof is new. To damage your roof winds do not have to reach hurricane strength. When having a storm it is possible to have strong winds or wind gusts that reach over fifty miles per hour, which is strong enough to lift part of your shingles. This wind gust could also pull the adhesive loose from the home or loosen fasteners.
If the roofing repair job is due to improper design it is often not a good idea to do the repair yourself. If you leave the design problem and just fix the roof then the problem will continue to reoccur. Some of the common problems that can happen with improper design include:
• Roof does not have adequate slope
• The support structures are too wide to support the weight of the roof
• Not enough consideration was taken for contraction and expansion in the decking structure
• Not having enough drains, which could allow water to pool on the roof
Any of these design problems will eventually lead to separation of the roofing materials and can cause even bigger problems. This roofing repair job is best left to professional who specialize in roof repair.
Roofing repair can be due to normal weathering in an older roof. To keep your roof in good condition there is a certain amount of maintenance that is necessary. If you do not do this maintenance, the roofing materials will begin to deteriorate. This can allow dirt and moisture into your home. If you live in an area that has a high level of air pollution from industrial factories or has frequent hailstorms the roofing material will deteriorate quicker. If you live near the ocean, exposure to the salt can also deteriorate the roofing materials.
The process of roofing repair is the same no matter what caused the problems. The steps to repair your roof include:
• Remove the damaged area of shingles to see how extensive the damage is under the shingles
• If only the shingles are damaged, you can just replace the shingles over the roofing felt, which is what covers the support or roof deck.
• You may need to remove the felt and repair the decking structure if the damage is so severe that you have moisture in your home